Venison & Vegetable Stir Fry with Noodles
RECIPE Bernadette Hogg
PHOTOGRAPH Jae Frew
READY IN 30 minutes
¼ cup chicken stock
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 tablespoon cornflour
2 tablespoons oil
400g venison medallions, cut into thin strips
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 thumb ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
2 sticks celery, thickly sliced on the angle
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
250g egg noodles
1½ tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, lightly toasted
Steamed Asian greens, to serve
• In a bowl combine stock, soy sauce, sherry and cornflour, mixing to dissolve.
• Season venison with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large, heavy-based frypan over a high heat. Add venison and stir-fry for a minute, then add garlic, ginger and onion. Stir-fry again for about 30 seconds.
• Add remaining vegetables and chilli flakes, then stir-fry until vegetables are crisp but tender.
• Stir through the stock mixture and bring quickly to the boil, stirring constantly. Cook until the sauce thickens.
• Cook noodles before you start stir-frying, so both can be served together immediately. Cook the noodles according to the packet directions. Toss cooked and drained noodles with sesame oil and half of the sesame seeds. Use remaining sesame seeds to garnish.
PER SERVE: Energy: 586kcal, 2448kj Protein: 44g Fat: 3g Saturated fat: 3g Cholesterol: 86mg Carbohydrate: 48g Fibre: 4g Sodium: 1283mgIssue 88