Sweet & Sour Beef
RECIPE Bernadette Hogg
PHOTOGRAPH Jae Frew
READY IN 20 minutes
1 tablespoon oil
500g rump or sirloin steak, cut into thin strips approx 2cm in length
2 tablespoon each: tamari, white wine vinegar and tomato puree
1 tablespoon caster sugar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons cornflour
150ml chicken stock
1 red pepper, seeds removed, cut into 2cm cubes
1 small carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
2 spring onions, halved lengthwise and cut into batons 2cm in length
1 thumb ginger, peeled and cut into thin match sticks
1 clove garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
1 x 227g tin pineapple pieces, drained
jasmine rice, to serve
• In a bowl mix the soy sauce, wine, vinegar, tomato puree, sugar, sesame oil, cornflour
and stock. Set aside.
• Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan, then add beef and stir-fry for 2 minutes, until
seared and coloured.
• Add pepper, carrot and spring onions, then stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add ginger and garlic, frying for a further minute.
• Add prepared sauce and leave to simmer for 2 minutes. Stir through the pineapple pieces and a little of the juice, if desired.
• Serve immediately with jasmine rice.
PER SERVE: Energy: 435kcal, 1820kj Protein: 51g Fat: 18g Saturated fat: 5g Cholesterol: 121mg Carbohydrate: 16g Fibre: 2g Sodium: 1061mgIssue 88