Soy & Cashew Chicken with Egg Fried Rice
RECIPE Bernadette Hogg
PHOTOGRAPH Jae Frew
READY IN 30 minutes, excluding
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon each: ground ginger and ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
2 teaspoons sesame oil
700g skinless boneless chicken breast halves,
cut into 1 cm cubes
1 tablespoon oil, suitable for frying
3 spring onions, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, very finely sliced
1 green pepper, seeds removed, finely sliced
2 tablespoons tamari
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
70g roasted unsalted cashew nuts
Egg Fried Rice
2 tablespoons oil, suitable for frying
3 eggs, lightly beaten
70g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
½ cup frozen baby peas
1 spring onion, finely sliced
4 cups cooked rice
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
• In a large bowl combine soy sauce, ginger, cinnamon, chilli flakes and sesame oil. Add chicken, stir to coat, cover and leave to marinade for 15 minutes.
• Heat of the oil in a large wok or frypan over a high heat. Add spring onions and garlic, then stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add marinated chicken and stir-fry for a further 5 minutes. Add sliced pepper, stir-frying for another 4-5 minutes, until chicken is cooked.
• Add soy and oyster sauces and half of the cashew nuts. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, then serve with the egg fried rice. Use remaining cashew nuts to garnish.
• To make fried rice heat a wok or large frypan over a high heat. Add half the oil then the eggs. Stir to cook, then remove from pan.
• Add remaining oil, and heat. Add mushrooms and stir-fry until cooked. Add peas and stir for a minute.
• Add rice and stir for several more minutes, until warmed through.
• Add soy sauce, sesame oil and sweet chilli sauce, seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Stir, then add cooked egg. Serve warm.
PER SERVE: Energy: 779kcal, 3259kj Protein: 53g Fat: 36g Saturated fat: 6g Cholesterol: 261mg Carbohydrate: 60g
Fibre: 5g Sodium: 2820mg